Friday, February 11, 2011

A Wolf's Calling



 Portrait One

1. At first, I didn't know what to expect of this project. I started a completely different one, that had nothing to do with landscape. Once I started my project, I was extremely frustrated when deciding what kind of scene I should create.

2. In choosing my first image, which was a mix of pink and purple sky, I thought about doing a dark, gloomy, and stormy scene. I changed the color and contrast of the sky to make the pink a little bit brighter, for the effect of a storm about to come. I then added lightening to complete the storm effect. I adjusted the lightening in front of the clouds, so that the lightening looks like it is popping out and attacking ones eyes when looking at it. My intentions were to make the lightening really catch the audience's eyes, and I believe I have done so by, fading out different parts of the lightening, and making some of it transparent, and other parts really bright and bold

3. I then added dark mountains for the effect of night time. Some of the mountains look like they are in a distance, close up, darker, and also lighter to give the mountains a variety of different shades.

4. In deciding what I could add to the mountains and sky to complete it, I chose a wolf because it reminds me of an animal you would find in the mountains. In the first portrait I made, I chose to put the wolf in the bottom right corner. I wanted to make it look like the wolf blended in with the mountains, so I changed the contrast of the wolf, and darkened it. I also chose this particular wolf, because it is howling upwards. I chose to make the wolf appear up close. This makes the tip of the wolf's nose look like a mountain top.

5. To complete my picture, I chose an image of an orange moon. I pasted the moon behind the mountains and I shrunk it a lot. After finally deciding and testing out  where I wanted to put the moon, I chose to paste it off center. I feel like this completes my portrait. I personally enjoy where I pasted the moon because it makes my picture look balanced. I have the whole sky filled with color , as well as lightening, and there are mountains filling my portrait. I decided on the left side, to have the moon off center, and the right side, to have the wolf up close. To me, that is balancing my picture.


Portrait Two

In the second portrait that I have created, I chose to keep everything the same, except for the wolf. I decided to use a different image of a wolf, and crop it to make it extremely small. I pasted the wolf in the center of the mountains. I thought it would be interesting to change the color of the wolf to match the moon. I adjusted the color, hue, and saturation of the wolf to kind of match the moon, without making the wolf as bright. The wolf is the focal point of my picture. I also chose a wolf that was howling up at the moon in both of my portraits, because that is what you imagine a wolf doing, when one is mentioned. 

Opinion

I personally like the first portrait I created better than the second one. The theme I was aiming for, was a dark, gloomy, and stormy night. I love the colors that I decided to use. I feel like the pink sky really completes my picture. It reminds me of a summer night, where there are tornado warnings, which creeps me out a little bit. The lightening also makes the picture look like a stormy night, because usually there is lightening during a storm. I love that the wolf in the first picture really blends into the mountains, and it is evident that the wolf is howling at the moon. I think this matches the title I chose perfectly, "A Wolf's Calling," because the placing of the wolf, and positioning of the moon, imitates the title exactly. I enjoy the second picture I did, because I like the way the wolf and moon are the same color. It wouldn't be my first choice because I feel like the first image better describes and blends in with my title, and theme that I have chosen. Overall, I really do enjoy the picture that I have created, because I had no idea what I expected of it at first. As I was going along, I had random idea's and they turned out great. I hope you enjoy my picture.


:)

1 comment:

  1. Cassy, I think you did a really good job on this task. You seem to think the project through in minute detail and that is great. I like your colour choices and I agree that you've created a very moody image. Well done.

    Minor typos indicated on the rubric. Keep watching for mine:)

    ReplyDelete